Monday, January 3, 2011

New Years Resolutions

Happy New Year!  It's the beginning of a new year, 2011 to be precise, and it's time for the inevitable New Year's Resolutions.  Now most people, including me, rarely keep these resolutions. Most will be forgotten next week as the celebrations finally fade into memory. There simply a mechanism to reflect on the past and then make you feel comfortable that you have a goal for the new year.  It seems to me that one should be continually striving, reaching and setting goals (resolutions) throughout the year.  So this year I am going to make an attempt (using this blog to keep track) of a few goals / resolutions of my own.  I will follow-up as I achieve, change or fall short.


New year goals for 2011

  1. Create and maintain a blog so I can write my thought, opinions and ideas down.  - DONE
  2. Save a little more in savings, IRA's and college funds.  Notice I did not specify an amount.
  3. Lose weight.  Now I know everyone says this each year and that advertisements are even geared toward this goal right about now.  So I am going out on a limb here by saying I would like to lose 10 pounds by July 1, 2011.
  4. Be a better husband and father.  I think I am a pretty good one now, but there is always room for improvement.  I probably could listen to my wife more often, make more eye contact and stop some annoying habits.  For my kids, give more encouragement and be as supportive a parent as I can be.
  5. Make an effort to communicate more with friends.  No not through facebook, twitter or this blog, but through more old fashion ways like telephone calls or emails.
  6. Volunteer.  It seems to me if everyone could volunteer a little time someplace each month that would go a long way for all those organizations that depend on volunteers. 
  7. Eat better.  I suppose that would help goal #3, but I would like to eat healthier, slower and smaller portions. 
  8. Increase my vocabulary.  I seem to use the same words over and over again.  I would like to find new words to use in everyday conversation and in my writing.
  9. Find a hobby.  I think it is important for people to have some sort of outlet, like knitting or playing an instrument.  Maybe since I enjoy wine I should try my hand at wine making.
  10. Finally, find a new job.  As I recover from cancer I will eventually have to find a job.  Hopefully in 2011 this goal will become reality.

2 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration, a great friend, mentor and ex-boss (hopefully someday I will work for you again) I am so glad you have decided to write you have so much wisdom to share I know I have learned plenty from you and continue to - your strength, courage and continued freindship are cherished - I miss our daily chats, this will fill in a blank until you hit resolution number 5 !!! Look forward to the next post ! Take Care and have FUN !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto! from Maureen : ) I miss you Jim

    ReplyDelete