Monday, January 17, 2011

Looking Through the Mirror at the Skeleton Inside


Last week I had the opportunity to see something one rarely sees in a lifetime, my skeleton.  Actually it was an x-ray of my spine and head during a Physical Therapy / Chiropractic consultation.  As he reviewed the x-rays on a computer monitor (no more film on a light box on the wall)  I was fascinated to see the detail.  But when we got to my head I felt like I was looking into a mirror and could see myself as one of those skeletons in the corner of a classroom, watching over the class as time goes by.

So as I starred at the picture I began to think; is this what I will look like in say 60 years (I would be 109 years old)?  What would my life accomplishments have been?  Was I able to accomplish everything I wanted?  Did I leave a lasting legacy and make a difference?  Strange how an x-ray gets you thinking. 


As for my life accomplishments, well I can start with my two children.  As they grow up and become adults I will be able to see for myself; our (my wife and I) greatest accomplishment.  I hope to accomplish everything I wanted.  People sometimes list these out as a "bucket list."  This might show up as another story but for now I am doing pretty well.  I have travelled to parts of Europe, been to Arizona, Florida and driven down Route 1 in California. I have met some interesting people, including John Chambers of Cisco and Bill Gates of Microsoft. I feel like I know a lot of other celebrity types, but I guess Twitter doesn't count. There are a few more items on my list, but you'll need to wait so we can experience them together (lucky you).  As for a lasting legacy I will again point to my children, but I also hope someday to be able to do something like a scholarship fund or make a major difference in someone else's life (check the bucket list).


So there you have it.  A quick reflection in a different type of mirror.  Examining ones self every so often is a good thing.  I just have a strange way of doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment